March 2, 1893 signalled the beginning of the Border Golfers’ Association, with seven Clubs:
Hawick; Melrose; Selkirk; Galashiels; Innerleithen; Kelso; and Peebles, coming together to form the B. G. A. – the first Association of its kind in Scottish amateur golf. Today, there are 16 member Areas of the Scottish Golf Union, but the Borders lead the way.
The Border Championship was instituted in 1893; the Challenge Trophy in 1904; the Hart Cup (Boys Championship) in 1960; the Champion of Champions in 1966 and the Border League in 1976.
Today, there are 21 affiliated Clubs. The B.G.A. still plays an important and active role in fostering golf locally, and representing the view of Borders’ golfers at national level. So much so that Jack Keeney, a long-standing member of the BGA Council, will be President of the Scottish Golf Union in 2015.